Friday, January 8, 2010

2010 - The Year of the Scarf

I have never been big on the idea of New Years resolutions, they always start out so noble and by the time February rolls around they have already been long forgotton and set aside in the pursuit of everyday living. That's why I never make them, life gets in the way. Today however, I had an idea. Not a grand, world changing ideal, but rather a simple task and goal.

You see, last year I decided to treat myself to something I always wanted to learn how to do, use a spinning wheel. I know it seems an antiquated craft, but something inside me was drawn to their simplicity and beautiful functionality. There is something mystical about sitting behind a wheel, your hands and feet moving in a quiet rhythm, creating something beautiful and substantial out of a pile of raw fibers at your feet. In those moments, life slows down, and you are swept into a state of timelessness, connected with ancestors whose hands followed the same pattern as you do now.

So in my pursuit of my new spinning hobby, I found myself faced with skeins of lovingly produced yarn, with no idea as to what to do with them. My Aunt had taught me how to knit quite some time ago, but I just never quite got the hang of it. With a new sense of purpose, I enrolled in a year long class on scarf making, which promises to make me an accomplished knitter. What better way to learn a new craft than to engross yourself with monthly projects? Armed with a new pair of knitting needles and some beautiful merino wool yarn, I have embarked on month one of the year of the scarf.

It has been only one week since my first class and I have found myself more than halfway done with my scarf. Since I find myself addicted to the silent clacking of the needles against eachother, and the zen like peace it offers, it will not do to be without a project until February. This is where my idea mentioned in the very first paragraph comes into play. Why not allow the scarf class to be not only a tool for advancing my knitting skills, but for furthering my spinning as well?

The concept is simple, for every scarf pattern unveiled in class, I will knit two scarves. One using the recommended commercially available yarn, and the second will require me to spin a comparable yarn from my stash of fiber I have collected during the past year. Voila, increased knitting time and a focus for my spinning. Plus I will have two beautiful scarves at the end of each month! I am excited about this undertaking and as a way of remaining on course, I have decided to dedicate this blog to the process. Welcome to my journey of one year, twelve patterns, and twenty-four scarves.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Alicia, 3-February 2010
    I made Kathy (a.k.a. the girlfriend) put down the clacking needles, pause Julie & Julia, and explain to me what a blog is. Not a pretty word. But a great idea, like an inside-out diary. And now you have one! It sounds like a wonderful series of projects. My own scarf project, presently on hiatus, has been a dubious attempt at best. Casting on seemed so simple, and the manipulation of the yarn might lead to enhanced dexterity, if only I could keep the number of rows constant. Starting off with thirteen (lucky) rows would produce a modest cat-sized scarflike first product. Within 10 minutes I could count fifteen rows in width and in 20 minutes I was up to twenty. Where do they come from?
    Well, I'm better at unraveling than at knitting, but now I have the excuse I didn't really need to resume sitting and knitting beside Kathy as she turns out many little hats for the little heads she welcomes into this world of ours. Thank you.
    Kenny Schordine

    ReplyDelete