Sunday, January 10, 2010

January Scarf #1 - six days in

Enthusiastic about the scarf challenge, I spent the last two days finishing up January's scarf. It is a lovely cabled pattern (I'm cabling... imagine that, just two months ago I couldn't remember how to cast on!) Here are some photos of the process I have taken along the way to document my work.

midpoint, beginning of second skein
a close up of the cable pattern
the finished scarf
and one more...
that is Dharma in the background, she helps me with everything.

So today I was left with the job of selecting which fiber I wanted to spin into the yarn I would use for my second January scarf. The original scarf is done with a really thick 100% merino wool from Italy. I decided to use the same merino wool fiber, but try and make a finer yarn, since the scarf is super bulky. I am hoping that the cable will stand out a little bit better, and lay a little flatter against the body if the yarn is not quite as chunky.
I think Dharma approves of my choice, 4 oz of fluffy white merino wool waits for me at the base of my wheel.
Ten days into month one of the year of the scarf and I am moving right along. Not too shabby...

1 comment:

  1. That is one gorgeous scarf, Alicia! I love that big fat cable. I had no idea you started spinning, and what a great way to challenge yourself! I can't wait to see what you create, especially with the yarn you spin yourself. Maybe you'll inspire me to knit more . . . . Happy New Year to you and to your Mom and Dad. Wish them well for me. Hope to see all of you soon!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete